My backup breakfast for chaotic mornings when I barely have a hand free is these lovely overnight oats. Your choice of grains, nuts and seeds soaked in milk and yoghurt and left in the fridge overnight to become greater than the sum of their parts. Easy to prepare, easier to eat and readily transportable if you are up and out the door first thing. If you manage to have a second hand free, top the oats with poached rhubarb or pear or drizzle with honey.
- 1/3 c rolled oats
- 1/3 c buckinis or quinoa flakes
- 1tb, heaped, pepitas
- 1tb, heaped, coconut flakes or threads
- 1tb sesame seeds
- 2tb almonds, chopped
- 2/3 c yoghurt, Greek-style
- 2/3 c milk (I like the taste of almond milk with oats)
- 1-2 tsp rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup or to taste
- extra nuts and seeds, optional
Combine all ingredients and leave overnight. Top with fruit and extra nuts and seeds. Beautiful with berries, poached rhubarb or pear or sliced banana and cinnamon. Makes 2 satisfying serves.